Dr. James H. Naylor/CCSU Leadership Academy
Dr. James H. Naylor
Dr. James Henry Naylor was born in Schuylerville, New York on August 3, 1869 to son of Jerome and Elizabeth Babcock Naylor. He attended public school in New York and graduated from the University of Vermont in 1895 with the distinction of having honor grades all four years. He was also a noted baseball player and as third baseman was part of the school’s “most famous nine” which was invited to the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893. They competed against Yale for the national collegiate title, and though Naylor scored the only Vermont run, they lost 2 to 1. He signed to play professional baseball with the Baltimore Orioles, but decided to abandon that career for one in medicine. In the summer of 1895 he became an intern at Hartford Hospital and after receiving his medical degree, went into private practice. In 1902 he received the first of many governmental appointments as clerk of the Board of Health under newly elected Mayor Sullivan.
In 1909 he won election to the South School District Committee which he held until the consolidation into one district in 1934. He had strongly opposed the consolidation of the districts. When it happened, he quit all educational work in Hartford for several years. In 1939 he successfully ran for a seat on the Board of Education and served as president from 1941-1943. At his direction the South District was one of the first to adopt a health program which included physical exams and treatment, special lunches for undernourished students, inoculations against diphtheria and lung X-rays.
In 1927 the plans were being drawn up for a new grammar school on Franklin Avenue to replace the old Lincoln School. At the suggestion of Patrick McGovern, a state senator, it was voted to name the new school the Dr. James H. Naylor School in his honor The school was officially dedicated on March 1, 1929.
Dr. Naylor organized and was the first president of the South End Bank and Trust Company, was a thirty second degree Mason in Hartford Lodge F and AM, a member of the Shrine and Knights Templar and a member of the University Club.
Dr. Naylor died on December 25, 1950 and following the service at South Congregational Church in Hartford was buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery.
The Dr. James H. Naylor School was built in 1927-1929 and designed by firm of Whiton & McMahon.
Professional Development School
Naylor School and Central Connecticut State University have been successful partners since 1996, formalizing Professional Development School relationship in 1998. Teacher candidates from all levels of the teacher certification programs are involved in virtually all classrooms at Naylor, university classes meet on site, CCSU students and faculty from the wider university community participate in joint projects and events. A CCSU Teacher Education faculty member is on site at least one day per week, participating in planning, governance, professional development and all aspects of school/community life. Naylor teachers and administrators host and support teacher candidates at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels, and participate at CCSU in advisory roles and as regular contributors to teacher education courses. The University PDS Facilitator and a Naylor PDS Facilitator bridge between the school and university and represent the partnership in a wider set of state and national PDS Networks and professional communities. CCSU faculty and Naylor staff members collaborate on projects, grants, teaching, goal setting, research, presentations, and professional development. We are proud to note that many former CCSU/Naylor student teachers currently teach in the City of Hartford (including at Naylor School) and in other urban districts, and that many more report that they have been influenced positively by their pre-professional experience in the CCSU/Naylor PDS. We share a commitment to reciprocal renewal, lifelong learning, the joint preparation of future educators, the development of student and adult leaders, support for excellence in professional growth, celebration of diversity, integration of technology, and collaboration with the local community, all in pursuit of enhanced learning for our children.